I’m practically married to a teacher, and I was going to be a teacher, so, yes, those types of posts always piss me off when I seem them.
Here’s the thing about all of that mess.
Teachers could be doing anything else but teaching, yet they choose to stay where they are and attempt to educate the masses in the hopes that what they’re doing is helping the next generation succeed.
In the US, there is really no incentive to teach. The pay is crap. The hours are crap. The benefits are okay at best. You spend almost more money out of pocket for needed supplies for your classroom than the budget you’re given to work with each year.
You get pressured by the administration who is pressured by the school district who is pressured by the state who is pressured by the US Congress to make certain no child is left behind. However, all of those people (most of whom have never taught a day in their lives) want you to do so on less than a shoestring budget with a curriculum they designed so your students can take a standardized test they deemed fit which only proves that a student can memorize something. It doesn’t prove they learned anything.
Do you know how frustrating that is for an educator?
Does the phrase “shit runs downhill” mean anything to you?
Most teachers are doing the best they can with what they’ve been given and with the pressure they’re put under by the public to do the impossible with little support and even less money. The remarkable thing is they do it every single year, and most of them do well despite the gigantic roadblocks put in their way by a congress who would rather put money toward anything but education and a general public who can’t seem to understand that giving a proper, well-funded education to our youth is the best way to ensure our country survives the next 200 years or so.
So, when I see students post rants about how their teachers make them do homework or make them study or, God forbid, make them learn something, I get angry. This isn’t some game we’re all playing. This is real life, and the shit you don’t think you’re going to need to know that your history teacher or math teacher or English teacher is desperately trying to get you to pay attention to now is the stuff that one day will show whether or not you’re able to understand high level concepts so you can succeed in life.
Homework is not given because the teacher wants to keep you from hanging out, watching whatever, playing on tumblr, or gaming. Homework is given because your teacher it trying their best to ensure you know and understand the concepts they’re trying to teach you. It’s a simple idea. Homework is not there for the teachers; it’s there for the students, and, just like the students, teachers get frustrated, tired, and sick of the political games played in schools today.
I really don’t think it’s too much to ask of any student who is receiving a free education from a person who spent years in college being trained for the purpose to show a little understanding and respect to those people who dedicate their lives to putting up with students’ bullshit.
- frattylikethefounders likes this
- thefaultinour-starks likes this
- internetmeth reblogged this from hotsoccermom420
- carnistshamer likes this
- harlemglobeshakers reblogged this from tullehooves
- tullehooves reblogged this from goatfrost
- dizzyp reblogged this from wizardshavethephonebox
- poppycreez reblogged this from misseducation and added:
- poppycreez likes this
- inviolatesummer reblogged this from misseducation
- java4casey likes this
- nathansfishbowl likes this
- misseducation reblogged this from pooped
- rainyphoenix22 reblogged this from girlwithalessonplan
- vivat-arthuriana likes this
- verbal-ironyyy reblogged this from girlwithalessonplan
- alteredcarbon58 likes this
- biteyourrhymez likes this
- goatfrost likes this
- petuniababy reblogged this from busterbaby
- petuniababy likes this
- busterbaby reblogged this from elevatedsaguaro
- allegra0 likes this
- fourteentwo reblogged this from me-inmywords
- iamsherlockedforever221b likes this
- spellbook reblogged this from wizardshavethephonebox
- appleforevan likes this
- dawnblue50 reblogged this from blackroseauthoress
- dawnblue50 likes this
- wingedbookworm reblogged this from annaadelmeister
- gyrwolf reblogged this from fulminata2
- gyrwolf likes this
- marrosse likes this
- delinquentkanine reblogged this from jawn-i-made-coffee
- delinquentkanine likes this
- vividsonderr likes this
- sapphiremistress reblogged this from savahnahhallow
- livilin likes this
- wyldpwca reblogged this from jawn-i-made-coffee
- fonominaldaltonhoneybadger reblogged this from jake-gardiner
- thewhiteboardofkanjisan likes this
- annaadelmeister reblogged this from childkingofbrooklyn
- and-we-say-not-today reblogged this from jawn-i-made-coffee
- klutzykim reblogged this from badwolf-cookie
- perksofbeingalittleconfused likes this
- spellbook likes this
- dimholtroad likes this
- roksas likes this
- dwblogs reblogged this from jawn-i-made-coffee
- fulminata2 reblogged this from wizardshavethephonebox